Historic Sites of Manitoba: Brunkild Hotel (Brunkild, RM of Macdonald)
A two-storey wood frame building in Brunkild, in the Rural Municipality of Macdonald, was constructed in 1922 for local resident Herman Poersch and operated as the Brunkild Hotel (1922-1964), Committee Hotel (1964-1979), Brunkild Inn (1979-1997), and Brunkild Bar & Grill (1997-2016). The building was expanded in 1963. Its other proprietors through the years included Bill Smilski (?-?), John Rochon (?-?), Mr. Zdan (?-?), Ed Reage (?-?), Stan Nizol (?-?), Mel Simonson (?-?), Emil and Martha Semchuk (?-1971), Al and Muriel Klause (1971-1979), John and Linda McDiarmid (1979-1987), Theresia “Resi” Dux (1987-1997), Linda and Ron Karlowsky (1997-2000), and Gary and Carrie Desrosiers (2000-2016).
The hotel closed in late 2016 and the building was vacant at the time of a 2019 site visit. It was demolished in December 2021.
“3 liquor licenses cancelled,” Winnipeg Free Press, 5 February 1964, page 2.
Obituary [Emil Michael Semchuk], Winnipeg Free Press, 22 June 1971, page 72.
“Grand opening of the Committee Hotel,” Steinbach Carillon News, 20 October 1971, page 32.
“Brunkild,” Steinbach Carillon News, 15 August 1979, page 24.
“New hotel owners,” Steinbach Carillon News, 3 November 1997, page 9.
Memories & Melodies: The History of Brunkild 1871-1980 by Brunkild History Book Committee, 1980, 2003, pages 2, 153-155.
We thank George Penner and Holly Thorne for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 21 December 2021