Historic Sites of Manitoba: Brandon Hills United Church / Brandon Hills War Memorial and Pioneer Monument (RM of Cornwallis)
Situated next to the Brandon Hills Cemetery in the Rural Municipality of Cornwallis, two monuments at this site commemorate local residents killed during the First World War (erected in June 1919) and pioneers who first settled here in 1879. Behind the monuments is the building for Brandon Hills United Church. It replaced the former building, which had occupied the site from 1896 to 2004.
The church congregation was established in 1879 by Rev. George Roddick, but a formal building was not erected until 1896, under the pastorates of T. R. Shearer and John Lewis, on land donated by Roddick. The architect for the 40 foot by 28 foot building was W. H. Shillinglaw. It opened on 18 October 1896, with a service conducted by the Rev. J. M. King. Among the other clerics who served at Brandon Hills Church were John W. Ridd and Herbert T. Reynolds.
First World War Casualties
For the names of First World War casualities from Manitoba who do not appear on any physical monument in the province, see the Manitoba Historical Society War Memorial. If you know of a name that is omitted from this list, please contact the MHS War Memorial Researcher Darryl Toews (email@example.com).
Soldiers of the First World War - Canadian Expeditionary Force, Library and Archives Canada.
Canadian Virtual War Memorial, Veterans Affairs Canada.
Financial support for research reported on this page was provided by the Manitoba Heritage Grants Program (2015-2016).
The Brandon Hills Story by Murray McPherson, 1979.
We thank Darryl Toews for providing information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 29 February 2020