Historic Sites of Manitoba: Bradbury School No. 1481 (RM of Gimli)
The first Bradbury School was built in 1909, in the southeast quarter of 10-21-3 east of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Gimli. Made of hand-cut tamarack logs chinked with moss, covered with an exterior cladding of spruce boards, the school was used until being destroyed by fire on 18 October 1932. It was replaced by a second school which operated until April 1967, when it was amalgamated into Evergreen School Division No. 22 and students were bused to Gimli School.
In 1967, the teacherage and land were sold to Peter Tataryn, who renovated the building for use as a summer cottage.
Some of the teachers who worked at Bradbury School were Lily Dee, Adolphe Sochaski, Vida McCutcheon, Polly Cherniak, E. Matheson, Gudrun Johnson, Jenny Hyka, George Sech, Inga Sigurdson, and Michael Shewaga.
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
A History of Education in the Evergreen School Division by John C. Gottfried, MA thesis, University of Manitoba, 1965.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Rural Municipality of Gimli: Historical Highlights, 1887-1987 by Rural Municipality of Gimli Centennial Homecoming Committee. Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.G55 Rur.
“Stefan Huk log house, hog barn & chicken coop,” RM of Gimli Building Inventory Form, Heritage Manitoba.
We thank Rose Kuzina for providing information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 21 December 2020