Historic Sites of Manitoba: Mission Gardens School / Bernie Wolfe Community School (95 Bournais Drive, Winnipeg)
Built in 1976, this Transcona-Springfield School Division school was originally named Mission Gardens School and opened to students on 4 January 1977, with pupils transferring from temporary lodging at Regent Park School. It was renamed for Deputy-Mayor Bernard Rodolph “Bernie” Wolfe upon its official 25 May 1977 opening attended by Division Chairman George Marshall, Superintendent Vera Derenchuk, Principal Glen Hammond, and Bernie Wolfe. The school hosts a bilingual English-Ukrainian program and community spaces including a swimming pool, theatre, and library.
Photos & Maps
“English-Ukrainian bilingual program,” Transcona Views, November 2001, page 30.
“Bernie Wolfe School 25th anniversary,” Transcona Views, March 2002, page 15.
Transcona: Celebrating 75 Years of Community, 1911-1986 by the Transcona 75th Jubilee Committee, Betty Ann Watts, ed., 1986. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F 5649.T73 TRA]
School History, River East Transcona School Division.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 2 March 2017
Back to top of page