Historic Sites of Manitoba: Bell Block (370 Donald Street, Winnipeg)
This five-storey brick and stone building in Winnipeg was designed by local architect Victor William Horwood and constructed in late 1905 by builders John Alexander Saul and William Arthur Irish as a mixed retail and office space for real estate developer Frank C. Bell. Initially a three-storey structure, two floors were added in 1909 by day labour on a design by architect Herbert Edward Matthews.
The firm of Bryce and Company occupied the building from 1913 to around 1960 and, around 1914, a portion was occupied by the Dominion Business College. The building was later renovated into a residential apartment block. In 2015, the owners of the Bell Block received a Conservation Award from Heritage Winnipeg.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 870/1905, City of Winnipeg Archives.
“Tenders,” Winnipeg Tribune, 4 July 1905, page 4.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 918/1909, City of Winnipeg Archives.
370 Donald, City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee.
We thank Pam Cooper and George Penner for providing additional information used here.
Page revised: 15 July 2022