Historic Sites of Manitoba: Swoboda School / Beckett School No. 1248 (RM of Stuartburn)
Known as the Swoboda School District when it was organized formally in August 1903, it was renamed Beckett by 1928. A one-room schoolhouse operated at NW24-2-6E in the Rural Municipality of Stuartburn. The district was dissolved in 1967 and its catchment area became part of the Boundary School Division. It is believed that, after the school closed, the building was moved to Vita and used as a classroom. When a multi-room school building was constructed there, the one-room school was sold.
Among the other teachers of Beckett School were Michael Ewanchuk (?-?), Edna M. Kirkpatrick (1933-1934), Doris V. Kirkpatrick (1934-1935), ? (1943-1948), William Kowalchuk (1948-1949), Roman Dmytro Smook (1949-1950), Mary Kadyniuk (1950), Bert Chubey (1951), Mary Koniak (1951), ? (1951-1952), William Kolisnyk (1952-1953), Maurice Saranchuk (1953-1954, 1955-1956), Morris Cesmystruk (1954-1955, 1959-1960), Steve Cesmystruk (1956-1957), Iris Mary Podolsky (1957-1958), Genevieve Chorney Moroziuk (1958-1959), and Helen Mary Kozachenko (1960-1966).
Photos & Coordinates
Manitoba School Records Collection, Beckett School District No. 1248 - Daily Registers, GR2088, Archives of Manitoba.
School District Formation Files [Beckett School District No. 1248], GR1688, E0027, Archives of Manitoba.
School division half-yearly attendance reports (Schedule: E 0757), Archives of Manitoba.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Don Machnee for providing additional information used here.
Page revised: 10 September 2020