Historic Sites of Manitoba: New Hamburg School / Bayton School No. 1787 (RM of Grahamdale)
Known originally as the New Hamburg School District when it was organized formally in April 1915, it was renamed Bayton during the First World War, probably due to anti-German sentiment at the time. A one-room schoolhouse operated at SE19-27-8W in what became the Rural Municipality of Grahamdale. In 1967, the district was dissolved and its catchment area became part of the Lakeshore School Division. The former school building is no longer present at the site and a new building has replaced it.
Among the teachers of Bayton School were Miss ? Masnick, Irene Faust, Miss Annie E. Anderson (1918), Mr. Beveridge (1921-1922), Mr. Lang (1922-1923), Clarence Fines (1923-1924), Miss Ruby Lobb (1924-1925), Mr. Forbes (1925-1926), Mr. Holmes (1926-1927), Baldwin Berg, Mr. Arbuckle (1929-1930), William H. Lucow (1938-1939), Jean Scott (195-1936), Marion Winnifred Gereng (1961-1962), Lea A. D'Hoore (1962-1963), and Margaret Laughlen (1963-1964).
School District Formation Files [Bayton School District No. 1787], GR1688, E0027, Archives of Manitoba.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Bayton School District No. 1787 Daily Registers, GR11220, Archives of Manitoba.
School division half-yearly attendance reports (Schedule E0757), Archives of Manitoba.
Hardship and Happiness, Interlake Pioneers (Steep Rock), 1974, pages 20-21.
We thank Holly Thorne for providing additional information used here.
Page revised: 21 June 2020
Back to top of page