A 25,000-bushel wooden grain elevator in the former community of Barnsley, on the CPR Carman Subdivision in the Rural Municipality of Dufferin, was constructed by the provincial government sometime before 1916 as one of about forty it built between 1910 and 1923 under the auspices of its Manitoba Elevator Commission. The building was leased to United Grain Growers in 1916 and sold or traded to Manitoba Pool Elevators around 1959, joining its “A” elevator. The two elevators were closed in July 1972 then they were sold to a local farmer. At the time of a 2014 site visit, the elevators did not appear to be in use.
The Barnsley grain elevators with the United Grain Growers elevator on the left (July 2009)
Source: Rob Tisdale
The Barnsley grain elevators with the United Grain Growers elevator on the right (July 2014)
Source: Jean McManus
Site Location (lat/long): N49.59297, W97.99058
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Pool Grain Elevator “A” (Barnsley, RM of Dufferin)
A History of Grain Elevators in Manitoba by John Everitt, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, circa 1993.
Manitoba Pool Fonds, S. J. McKee Archives.
We thank Rob Tisdale for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Jean McManus.
Page revised: 5 September 2017
Back to top of page
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.