Historic Sites of Manitoba: Bardal School No. 1088 (RM of Pipestone)
The Bardal School District was established formally in August 1900. From 1901 to 1927, the school building was situated at 14-8-29W in the Rural Municipality of Pipestone. In 1927, a new building was constructed at SW15-8-29W. It featured a full basement with oil-fueled furnace and indoor toilets. The original school building was given in exchange to a local farmer who moved the fence and barn to the new site. He turned it into a granary.
The school operated until 1967, with a second classroom added as of 1962. It closed in 1967 and its remaining students went to Sinclair Consolidated School No. 1051. The site, school, and teacherage were sold and the teacherage was used as a private residence while the former school was used for storage. The school building was sitting vacant at the site as of the 1980s but is no longer there. A monument dedicated on 27 July 1984 commemorates it.
Among the noteworthy students of Bardal School was Erwin “Hi” Johnson, who attended from 1914 to 1923.
The teachers of Bardal School were Margaret E. Arsenault (1901), Anna S. Peturson (1905), Nellie Miner (1906), Robert J. Yeo (1907), Flora Knight (1907), Irene Leeson (1908), Alfred W. Muldrew (1909), Jessie P. McIvor (1911), Royal E. Dicks (1912), Mary Hamilton (1912-1913), Florence A. Maddocks (1913), Margaret Johnson (1914), Margaret Johnson (1914), Lulu E. McRobert (1915), Lyla A. Fortune (1915-1916), Josephine Dumphy (1916-1918), Eva C. McAdam (1918), Mary M. Taylor (1919), Jennie Flannery (1920-1921), Mrs. W. A. Reid (1921-1923), Kathleen Adcock (1923), Winona Howell (1924), B. E. Douglas (1924), Marjorie Edith Brady (1925), Jeannette M. Wall (1925), Marguerite Spence (1926), Mary Ashworth (1927), Irene Potvin (1928), Irene Potvin (1928-1929), George Sadler (1929-1937), Ada Thompson (1937-1939), Ruth Simpson (1939-1941), Isabella M. Dryden (1941-1942), Gladys C. McLean (1942-1944), Madeline Pachet (1944-1946), M. Joyce Berry (1946-1947), Kathleen Thompson (1947-1948), Shirley J. Abbey (1948-1949), Elizabeth M. Forbes (1949), Rea Josephson (1949), Roy Kitchen (1950), Mrs. Kathleen Reid (1950-1952), Helen Kathleen Szoradi (1952-1953), Martha P. Kristgaard (1953-1954), Mrs. Irene Graham (1954-1955), Mrs. E. Pearl Stevens (1955-1964), Rosemary E. Smith (1962-1963), Mrs. R. Shackel (1963-1964), Arlene Hurley (1964), Frances Griffiths (1964-1966), Della I. Cameron (1965-1966), Ada Josephson (1966-1967), and Violet Iverson (1966-1967).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Trails Along the Pipestone by Pipestone History Project, c1981, page 28. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.P56 Tra]
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 8 February 2021