Historic Sites of Manitoba: Banks School No. 1466 (RM of Dauphin)
The Banks School District was established in May 1908 and a one-classroom wood frame schoolhouse operated at NE33-23-18W in the Rural Municipality of Dauphin. Around 1955, the building was moved one-half mile east to what was called the Sandes Ashe Farm (about N51.03729, W99.92239). The school closed permanently in 1961, after which students in this area were bused to schools in Dauphin. The district was dissolved in 1965. The building still remains at the site, along with a fieldstone monument dedicated to the pioneers, trustees, teachers, and students of Banks School.
Among the teachers of Banks School were Florence Gilman (1938), Michael Maksymetz (1954-1959), and Tony Semchyshyn (1960-1961).
“The local round,” Dauphin Herald, 20 October 1938, page 9.
“Teaching staffs named for “A” and “B” groups,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 9 September 1954, page 1.
“Record-breaking enrollments expected here in collegiate, elementary schools,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 1 September 1955, page 1.
“All-time high enrollments expected for town schools,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 30 August 1956, page 1.
“Town schools open today, high enrollments expected,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 29 August 1957, page 1.
“Total of 110 teachers assigned to schools in Dauphin-Ochre area,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 4 September 1958, pages 1, 6.
“Teaching staffs assigned to rural, village schools,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 3 September 1959, page 1.
“26 rural schools start fall term classes Tuesday,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 31 August 1960, page 4.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Page revised: 23 March 2021