Historic Sites of Manitoba: Bank of Hamilton Building / Canadian Bank of Commerce Building (356 Main Street, Stonewall)
This two-storey stone building on Main Street in Stonewall was built in 1912 by contractor John Gunn for the Bank of Hamilton, replacing a structure destroyed by fire in December 1911. The bank merged with the Canadian Bank of Commerce in 1923 and became the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce after a 1961 merger with the Imperial Bank of Canada.
Postcard view of the Bank of Hamilton Building at Stonewall (no date)
Source: Internet Archive
Canadian Bank of Commerce Building (September 2017)
Source: George Penner
Canadian Bank of Commerce Building (February 2023)
Source: Jordan Makichuk
Site Location (lat/long): N50.13455, W97.32639
denoted by symbol on the map above
Memorable Manitobans: John Gunn (1850-1936)
Manitoba Business: Bank of Hamilton
Manitoba Business: Canadian Bank of Commerce
“Much building going on at Stonewall,” Manitoba Free Press, 24 August 1912, page 9.
Stonewall, Turning a Century: 1878-1978 edited by Mervin E. Farmer, 1978, page 23.
This page was prepared by George Penner, Jordan Makichuk, and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 11 February 2023
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.