The two-storey brick building in Gladstone was constructed in 1896 for banker Wilson Shannon Bailey and harness-maker Henry James Bickle. Through the years, it has housed a variety of businesses, including a grocery, butcher, physician and, most recently, an insurance agency.
Memorable Manitobans: Wilson Shannon Bailey (1843-1916)
Memorable Manitobans: Henry James Bickle (1862-1951)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Bickle House (47 Dennis Street East, Gladstone, Municipality of WestLake-Gladstone)
Historical Buildings of Gladstone, Self Guided Tour, Gladstone: Gladstone Theatre Courtyard, 2007.
We thank George Penner and Rose Kuzina for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 19 July 2021
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.