This horseracing track and grandstand on Portage Avenue on the west side of Winnipeg was established in 1958. Businessman Robert James “Jim” Speers had wanted to build a facility that had more space than was available at his original Polo Park racetrack. He agreed to sell the Polo Park land for development of a shopping mall on the condition that it remain in use for racing for two seasons, 1955 and 1956, while he searched for a new site.
Speers never saw his plans come to fruition. He died suddenly, of a heart attack, in July 1955. The task of finalizing plans for the development of Assiniboia Downs fell to his daughter Anna Meldred Speers.
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.89192, W97.32561
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Polo Park Racetrack / Polo Park Shopping Centre (1485 Portage Avenue, Winnipeg)
Memorable Manitobans: Robert James “Jim” Speers (1882-1955)
Memorable Manitobans: Anna Meldred Speers (1908-1996)
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 22 October 2023
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Help us keep history alive!