Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Ashdown House (121 Kate Street, Winnipeg)

In 1882, William S. Ashdown, a brother of hardware merchant James H. Ashdown, built this two-storey brick-veneer house on the east side of Kate Street between William and Bannatyne avenues. He shared a backyard with 120 Juno Street, erected the same year by another brother, George Ashdown. Ashdown moved out of the house in 1885 but retained ownership until 1893 when he sold it to photographer Israel Bennetto, who lived in it until 1915. The building is a municipally-designated historic site.

Ashdown House

Ashdown House (May 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.90244, W97.15206
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Ashdown House (529 Wellington Crescent, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Ashdown House (120 Juno Street, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Municipally Designated Historic Sites

Sources:

William Ashdown House, 121 Kate Street, City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, August 1988.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 11 January 2020

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.