Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 144 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Aronovitch and Leipsic Building (340-346 Donald Street / 317-319 Ellice Avenue, Winnipeg)

Located at the northwest corner of Donald Street and Ellice Avenue in Winnipeg, this two-storey brick building was commissioned by owner A. Herman Aronovitch, operating as Aronovitch and Leipsic, and built in 1925 by Wallace and Akins. It was completed at a cost of about $28,000. The structure featured four commercial units, two each along the Donald and Ellice frontages.

Aronovitch and Leipsic Building

Aronovitch and Leipsic Building (April 2022)
Source: Nathan Kramer

Aronovitch and Leipsic Building

Aronovitch and Leipsic Building (April 2022)
Source: Nathan Kramer

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.89509, W97.14470
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Memorable Manitobans: A. Herman Aronovitch (1882-1952)

Sources:

City of Winnipeg Building Permit 1586/1925, City of Winnipeg Archives.

This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 15 July 2022

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2023 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.