Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Argyle Settlers Monument (RM of Rockwood)

Township 14, Range 1, east of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Rockwood, was surveyed in 1872 and was named Brant by early settlers from Ontario. In 1880, the first school was constructed on Fred Hahnel’s farm a mile and a half east of the present village of Argyle. The following years saw the Presbyterian church erected on the Douglas farm as the first house of worship in the district. In 1910, the railway came through Argyle and James D. Douglas established the first general store housing a post office. This monument, erected in commemoration of the early settlers, was erected in 1980.

Argyle settlers commemorative monument

Argyle settlers commemorative monument (September 2010)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.18212, W97.45231
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Brant Consolidated School No. 1703 (Argyle, RM of Rockwood)

Sources:

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 11 February 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.