The Antonius School District was established in May 1925 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at NW22-5-14W in the Rural Municipality of Argyle. The district was dissolved in 1960 and its area was added to the Baldur Consolidated School District. It eventually became part of the Tiger Hills School Division. As of the 1980s, the former school building was being used as a garage at SE3-6-14W.
Antonius School (no date) by G. H. Robertson
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-3, page 99.
The former Antonius School building (circa 1986)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 70.
Site Location (lat/long): N49.41413, W99.28053
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Baldur District Schools (RM of Argyle)
Baldur East topographic map, 62G/6 East, Edition 1, Series A743 [UFS Reference Collection].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 5 February 2019
Back to top of page
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.