Historic Sites of Manitoba: Albert School No. 152 (RM of Dufferin)
A monument marks the former location of Albert School, which was organized in June 1884. A school building was constructed the next year in the southeast quarter of 10-7-5 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Dufferin. In 1908, it was replaced by a new building made of red bricks from the Leary Brickyard, at a cost of $1,700. The original school was moved to NE33-6-5W and used as a private residence. The second school was used until 1953 when it was replaced by a wood frame structure, and the brick building was sold to Jim Stow of Graysville who moved it to his farm. The third school closed in January 1968 and its building was moved to the Miami where it was used for a time as a classroom then became part of the Miami Museum.
Among the 60 known teachers of Albert School were Miss Louisa Bridge, Miss McCreary, and Mrs. Mitchell.
The Rural Municipality of Dufferin: 1880-1980 compiled and edited by June M. Watson with the assistance of the History Book Committee, Carman: RM of Dufferin, 1982, page 168.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 17 February 2019
Back to top of page