Historic Sites of Manitoba: Airedale School No. 1492 (Municipality of WestLake-Gladstone)
The Airedale School District was organized formally in March 1909 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at NE16-17-10W in what is now the Municipality of WestLake-Gladstone. A new schoolhouse with attached teacherage was constructed during the summer of 1953. The district was dissolved in 1967 and its catchment area became part of the Langruth Consolidated School District and later the Pine Creek School Division. As of the 1980s, it is alleged the former school building was located at NW10-8-10W where it stood vacant. It was not found there during a 2012 site visit. The concrete foundation of the former school was present at the original site in late 2017.
Among the teachers of Airedale School were H. R. Guthrie (1926), Clayton Bricker (1927), William T. Olson (1928-1929), Shirley Elizabeth Strolak (1954-1955), Raymond James McNeill (1955-1956), Marlene Nellie McLeod (1956-1957), Hlif Thompson (1957-1958), and Daisy Craik (1959-1962).
“Langruth news,” Portage la Prairie Leader, 3 September 1953, page 11.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
School District Formation Files [Airedale School District No. 1492], GR1688, E0027, Archives of Manitoba.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Airedale School District No. 1492 Daily Registers, GR3152, Archives of Manitoba.
Page revised: 17 December 2019
Back to top of page