Historic Sites of Manitoba: Agricultural College Barn / Art School Barn (Service 3 Street South, Winnipeg)
Around 1981, this barn on the Fort Garry Campus of the University of Manitoba, built in 1913, was featured in a Manitoba Co-operator series on farm architecture. The original caption for the photograph is given below.
This handsome 104-foot by 41-foot structure, designed under the direction of provincial architect V. W. Horwood and built in 1913, it is said to be one of very few remaining barns in the province that can claim to have been professionally designed. The red brick walls include a 60-foot by 36-foot wing. The overall barn was used mainly for dairy activities. Later, the barn accommodated 32 milk cows in stanchions, plus pens for other livestock, and featured large 20-foot 8-inch by 8-inch vertical timbers in its main framing. However, like farming elsewhere, things have changed for this barn. In 1975 it was transferred to the Faculty of Arts, with renovations to the lower levels and exterior completed in 1975 and to the loft areas in 1977. It is now used for student fine arts labs and display areas.
As of 2014, the barn was still in use although it has been renovated extensively.
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Agricultural College / University of Manitoba (Fort Garry Campus, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Co-operator Rural Buildings Series
We thank Rose Kuzina and George Penner for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 30 July 2021
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.