Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. Joseph’s Convent / Académie Saint-Joseph / St. Joseph’s Academy (321 Avenue de la Cathedrale, Winnipeg)
Located at 321 Avenue de la Cathedrale, across the street from Provencher School, the Académie Saint-Joseph was established by the Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary in 1898 as a convent and girls’ school. The present structure, now used as a personal care facility, was completed in 1912. A marble monument in front of the building gives its history. There are also a plaque commemorating Gabrielle Roy, who received her early education at the school. In 2009, the building was recognized with a Heritage Winnipeg Preservation Award.
Among the teachers at Académie Saint-Joseph was Mary Leitch McColl (1906-1908, 1911).
Information for this page was provided by The City of Winnipeg’s Planning, Property and Development Department, which acknowledges the contribution of the Government of Manitoba through its Heritage Grants Program.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 1 August 2019
Back to top of page