Manitoba Organization: Willow School District No. 1229
The Willow School District was organized formally in April 1903 within the Rural Municipality of Pembina and its catchment area was established from parts of the Darlingford School District No. 1228, Stanley School District No. 535, Kaleida School District No. 433, Pembina Crossing School District No. 324, and Mount Carmel School District No. 238.
Between 1903 and 1919, the district appeared regularly in Department of Education records along with the notation of “no school”, with classroom eduation for school-age children from within its catchment obtained by attendance as none-resident students in the adjacent school districts. During the 1915 calendar year, students attended Darlingford School, with all other years attendance being unlisted.
Although the date of the district's formal dissolution is not known, by 1920 reference to its name and numerical designation were discontinued in official records.
Board of Education registers (A 0050), GR7643, Archives of Manitoba.
Summative half-yearly returns for school districts (A 0051), GR0571, Archives of Manitoba.
Board of Education meeting minutes and office files (A 0052), GR1622, Archives of Manitoba.
School division and school district formation files (E 0027), Willow School District No. 1229, GR1688, Archives of Manitoba.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 26 October 2022