Manitoba Business: Standard Brick and Tile Company

The Standard Brick & Tile Company (SBTC) Limited was incorporated via Letters Patent under the Manitoba Joint Stock Companies Act on 28 November 1904. Its founding partners were George Frederick Carruthers, Richard Wilmot Gardiner, Edward Arthur “Ed” Delius, Rhoda J. Gardiner, and Harriet Jane Carruthers, the first three of whom served as Directors. The company held a capital stock of $40,000, opened a headquarters in Winnipeg, and operated a brickyard in the approximate vicinity of Kingsbury Avenue at Main Street in River Lot 13 within Kildonan (later West Kildonan). In February 1906, their capital stock was increased to $200,000. By early March 1909, the SBTC was insolvent and had ceased to operate.

Sources:

“Added to Manitoba companies,” Manitoba Free Press, 20 December 1904, page 12.

“The E. A. Delius Co.,” Manitoba Free Press, 24 July 1905, page 13.

“There's one best in everything [ad],” Winnipeg Tribune, 8 August 1905, page 2.

“Several assignments,” Winnipeg Tribune, 6 January 1906, page 5.

“Tenders [The Standard Brick & Tile Co. Ltd.],” Manitoba Free Press, 10 April 1906, page 10.

“The first fish story,” Manitoba Free Press, 23 April 1907, page 9.

“Notice to creditors,” Manitoba Free Press, 8 March 1909, page 2.

“Notice,” Manitoba Free Press, 24 March 1909, page 2.

“Improvements for kildonan,” Winnipeg Tribune, 5 May 1909, page 4.

Companies Office corporation documents (CCA 0059), 80S - the Standard Brick & Tile Company Limited, GR6427, Archives of Manitoba.

Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.

This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 3 December 2021