Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 142 years


Manitoba Business: Kershaw Theatre Limited

The Kershaw Theatre Limited was formally established via Order-In-Council under The Companies Act on 10 October 1929. The firm held an initial capital stock of $20,000, with operations centreed in Winnipeg. Its founding partnership included theatre manager Raymond Kershaw, his wife Emma Kershaw, son Frank H. Kershaw, along with Harold James Riley and Clarence Robson, as well as Toronto-based partners Carthur Cohen (Treasurer) and Thomas J. Bragg (Comptroller). On 15 September 1931, Kershaw Theatre entered into an agreement with Famous Players Canadian Corporation Limited to manage their local theatres. In 1936, KT fully divested itself of all remaining assets and the company was dissolved.

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Wonderland Theatre (595 Sargent Avenue, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Osborne Theatre (108 Osborne Street, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Tivoli Theatre (115 Maryland Street, Winnipeg)

Sources:

Companies Office corporation documents (CCA 0059), 115K - Kershaw Theatre Limited, GR6427, Archives of Manitoba.

Orders-In-Council (EC 0003A), GR1530, Archives of Manitoba.

This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 3 July 2020

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2021 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.