Manitoba Business: E. B. Nash Company / Nash-Carson-Naylor
The E. B. Nash Company (EBNC) Limited was incorporated via Letters Patent under the Manitoba Joint Stock Companies Act on 12 October 1903. Its founding partners were Winnipeg-based Edward Bruce Nash (merchant) and Henry Platt Grundy along with Ontario-based Samuel Lemmy Nash (physician, Bath), Percy Chambers Nash (merchant, Trenton), and John Cameron Douglas (banker, Toronto). Nash, Douglas and Grundy served as its first Directors. The company held a capital stock of $50,000 and operated in Winnipeg.
On 28 November 1904, the EBNC changed its name to Nash-Carson-Naylor (NCN) Limited to reflect its new primary partners: Edward Bruce Nash, John H. Carson, and Harry Patrick Naylor and opened a department store at 576-580 Main Street, on the southwest corner at Alexander Avenue. The NCN partnership lasted into 1906 when their Main street venue became home to the Stephenson-Gilbert Company.
“An important business change,” Manitoba Free Press, 22 October 1904, page 14.
“New Winnipeg departmental store,” Manitoba Free Press, 11 November 1904, page 11.
“Rapid growth of new firm,” Winnipeg Tribune, 20 July 1905, page 13.
“The Stephenson-Gilbert Company,” Winnipeg Tribune, 21 April 1906, page 14.
“The Rideout-Gilbert Company to the front,” Winnipeg Tribune, 3 March 1906, page 4.
“Local news paragraphs [New premises],” Winnipeg Tribune, 3 March 1905, page 16.
Companies Office corporation documents (CCA 0059), 24E - The E. B. Nash Company Limited, GR6427, Archives of Manitoba.
Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 27 February 2022