Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 144 years

Manitoba Business: Manitoba Liquor Control Commission / Manitoba Liquor and Lotteries Corporation

This Crown Corporation was formed in 1923 with the repeal of the Manitoba Temperance Act and the passing of the Government Liquor Control Act. A three-member Commission (later reduced to just one person), known initially as the Government Liquor Control Commission and later the Liquor Control Commission of Manitoba, was given a monopoly on the operation of liquor stores in Manitoba and ability to regulate the sales and use of liquor throughout the province.

Renamed the Manitoba Liquor Control Commission in 1980, it was merged in 2012 with the Manitoba Lotteries Corporation to form the Manitoba Liquor and Lotteries Corporation.

Commissioners / Chairmen


Commissioner / Chairman


Richard Deans Waugh (1868-1938)


John Turnbull (1870-1957)


William Reid “Bill” Clubb (1884-1962)


Barnard “Barney” Halstead (1914-1995)


Norman Elliot Rodger (1907-2010)


Arthur Uniacke “Art” Chipman (1902-1993)


J. Frank Syms (c1924-1992)


Louis Teillet (1914-1979)


Alexander Bruce “Alex” Tevendale (c1932-2003)





Ian Gordon Wright (1939-2016)

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Turner-Walker Block / Catelli Building / McCormicks Building (425 Henry Avenue, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Miller-Morse Building / Manitoba Liquor Control Commission Building / Richlu Building (317 McDermot Avenue, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Liquor Control Commission War Memorial (1555 Buffalo Place, Winnipeg)


“Liquor board setup uncertain,” Winnipeg Tribune, 24 May 1938, page 3.

“Liquor commission honors J. Turnbull,” Winnipeg Free Press, 28 February 1941, page 10.

“New liquor act comes into force on Monday,” Winnipeg Tribune, 10 July 1956, page 1.

Death registration [John Turnbull], British Columbia Vital Statistics.

“Syms liquor chief,” Winnipeg Free Press, 27 November 1969, page 1.

“Teillet acting chairman of liquor commission,” Winnipeg Free Press, 29 December 1977, page 50.

“Liquor post to Tevendale,” Winnipeg Free Press, 16 October 1979, page 6.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 5 August 2023

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2023 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.