The Zoria School District was organized in March 1912 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at NW35-27-21W in what is now the Municipality of Gilbert Plains. The original school building was destroyed by fire in 1938 but was replaced the following year. The district was dissolved in 1967 and its area became part of the Intermountain School Division. The school building is no longer present at the site.
Site of the former Zoria School (May 2014)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N51.36154, W100.31239
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Zora School No. 1518 (RM of Springfield)
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Country Schools of Gilbert Plains by Barry Randell, 2006.
We thank Ed Arndt for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 30 December 2020
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Help us keep history alive!