Historic Sites of Manitoba: Wycliffe School No. 1564 (Sifton, RM of Dauphin)
The Wycliffe School District was established in March 1911 as a result in a rift among ratepayers over the establishment of a high school at the Sifton School. A dividing line running east and west along First Street separated Sifton district on the north from Wycliffe on the south. A two-classroom brick building for Wycliffe School was built around 1912. It had one class room on the east side for grades 5-8, a second room on the west side for high school grades 9-11, and a portion of the hallway between them was made into a science laboratory and library.
The Wycliffe district was dissolved in July 1946 and the building was used exclusively for high school education. It was destroyed by fire on 20 January 1952.
Among the teachers of Wycliffe School were Frank Halinski (1928) and Lila Muriel Burge (c1935).
Photos & Coordinates
“Fire destroys Sifton school,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 24 January 1952, page 1.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Sifton Then and Now: A Reminiscence of the Pioneer Era by Elsie Lesyk, Dauphin, 1992, pages 149.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 20 May 2023