The Woodstock School District was organized formally in May 1895 and a school building operated at SW11-20-28W in the Rural Municipality of Russell. In 1905, a new schoolhouse was constructed at SE3-20-28W. The school closed in 1952 and its remaining students went to Russell School No. 273 or Binscarth Consolidated School No. 2326. The building is no longer present at the site but a monument commemorates it.
Among the teachers of Woodstock School were Miss Annie Leslie and Miss N. W. Anderson (1906).
Woodstock School (no date) by G. W. Bartlett
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 11.
The former Woodstock School building (circa 1986)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 1201.
Woodstock School monument (June 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Location (lat/long): N50.68300, W101.27698
denoted by symbol on the map above
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Binscarth Memories by Binscarth History Committee, 1984. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5649.B55 Bin]
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 12 August 2015
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.