Historic Sites of Manitoba: Wingham School No. 1061 (RM of Grey)
The Wingham School District was established formally in April 1900 and a one-room schoolhouse was built at the northeast corner of NE11-9-5W in the Rural Municipality of Grey. It operated independently until amalgamation with Sunnydale School No. 1389 and New Sydenham School No. 1380 to become the Wingham Consolidated School. The former schoolhouse was moved to Elm Creek where it was renovated into a private residence.
Among the teachers of Wingham School were James J. Gorrell (1900-1901), A. M. McIntyre (1901-1902), A. E. Johnston (1902-1903), M. McCaffrey (1905), Agnes M. Brown (1907-1908), K. Martin (1908-1909), Gladys Elliott (1909-1912), Olive L. Manness (1912-1913), W. Knapton? (1914), J. Leckie? (1914), Cora P. Bishop (1915), Grace N.? Ritchie (1916), Olga E. Lalier (1917-1918), Aileen McFarlane (1918-1919), Ettie Wood (1919-1920), Cora Clee? (1920), and Neva George (1921).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Wingham School District No. 1061 Minute & Cash Book, GR6909, Archives of Manitoba.
School division half-yearly attendance reports (E 0757), Archives of Manitoba.
School division and school district formation files (E 0027), Wingham School District No. 1061, GR1688, Archives of Manitoba.
A Century of Memories: Elm Creek Centennial History Book, 1892-1992 edited by Doug and Hazel Frost. [Legislative Library of Manitoba, F5649.E46 Cen]
Ripples from the Creek by Edith Anne Baragar, 1969, pages 92-98.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 14 June 2020