Built around 1900, the Queen Anne Revival styling and careful craftsmanship of the White House in Carberry reflect the Ontario heritage of its original occupant, contractor James White. Although many of the buildings in Carberry are made from brick made at the Sidney brickyard, the distinctive red bricks for this house were made at the Edrans brickworks, apparently because White’s wife had connections there. His company built several of the town’s noteworthy buildings, including his own sash and door factory next to the house, three nearby churches, and the Sear business block.
The building, now a part of the Carberry Plains Museum, is a municipally designated historic site.
White House (April 2010)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
White House (August 2017)
Source: George Penner
Site Location (lat/long): N49.86620, W99.36098
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Municipally Designated Historic Sites
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Carberry Plains Museum (520 Fourth Avenue, Carberry)
“Lots of history wrapped up in this gingerbread house” by Penny Ham, Brandon Sun, 26 November 1974, page 13.
White House (510 Fourth Avenue, Carberry), Manitoba Historic Resources Branch.
We thank George Penner for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 18 February 2019
Back to top of page
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.