Historic Sites of Manitoba: Whitehaven School / St. Jean Baptiste West School No. 89 (RM of Montcalm)
The Whitehaven School District (later known as the St. Jean Baptiste West School District) was established in April 1880 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at SW28-3-1E in the Rural Municipality of Montcalm. The district was dissolved in 1958 and its area became part of the St. Jean-Baptiste Consolidated School District. No vestige of the school building remains at the site.
Among the teachers who worked at Whitehaven School was J. T. Cressey.
School District Formation Files [St. Jean Baptiste West School District No. 89], GR1688, E0027, Archives of Manitoba.
Emerson West topographic map, 62H/3 West, Edition 2 ASE, Series A743 [UFS Reference Collection].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 23 February 2015
Back to top of page