Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Wheathill School No. 1650 (RM of Armstrong)

Wheathill School was formally organized in January 1913 and a one-room school was erected in 1914 at this site in the Rural Municipality of Armstrong. At some point, a second classroom was attached to the original one. The district was dissolved in April 1967 and the two classrooms were moved away, the older part to a nearby farmyard and the new one to Lundar. The foundation is still visible on the site. Attendance and other records for Wheathill School are held at the Chatfield Park of Souvenirs Museum.

The teachers at Wheathill School included: Nicholas Bachynsky (1915-1916), Stephen Nykyforuk (1917-1918), J. M. McSimock (1919-1920), D. M. Hawryluk (1920-1921), John Mazur (1925-1926), Frances Clark (1929-1930), H. Hykawy (1930-1931), N. Punak (1930-1931), A. Mykytrick (1933-1934), J. M. Howryluk (1933-1934), Frances Grey (1934-1935), Mr. M. D. Seneshen (1934-1936), Olga Burianyk (1935-1936), Agnes Adamik (1936-1939), Dorothy Probizanski (1936-1939), Mary Malenchak (1939-1940), Millie Urry (1939-1940), Gordon Tully (1940-1942), Isabelle Tully (1940-1942), Alice Giles (1942-1943), Jennie Gailey (1942-1943), Elizabeth Curts (1943-1944), Elsie Land (1943-1944), Helen Franckewicz (1944-1945), Mrs. E. Sopiwnigh (1944-1945), Helen Osioway (1946-1947), Gladys Wojciechowski (1947-1949), John Packulak (1949-1952), Mrs. Mary Michaelchuk (1952-1953), Helen Shewchuk (1953-1954), Mrs. Helen Klowak (1954-1955), Mr. J. E. Cooper (1955-1956), John Chobotor and Joyce Brown (1956-1957), Mrs. O. Buticher (1957-1958), Walter Diachun (1958-1960), Olga Eyjolfson (1960-1964), Mr. A. A. Kachur (1964-1965), Mr. B. F. Olson (1965-1966), and Michael Shewaga (1966-1967).

Wheathill School

Wheathill School (no date) by G. H. Robertson
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-3, page 10.

Wheathill School

Wheathill School Teacherage (no date) by G. H. Robertson
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-3, page 10.

Wheathill School

Wheathill School monument (May 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Wheathill School

The foundation of the former Wheathill School building (May 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Wheathill School

The original Wheathill School building in a farmyard at N50.83213, W97.53611 with the name still visible above the entrance vestibule (May 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N50.83139, W97.52070
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

The Poplarfield and District Millennium Album, 1900-2000 by Ed Ledohowski, 2000.

Wilderness to Wildlife: Chatfield and District History, Chatfield Oldtimers Club, Selkirk, 1981, page 18.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 12 October 2013

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.