Historic Sites of Manitoba: West Tupper School No. 296 (Municipality of WestLake-Gladstone)
Tupper School District was formed in 1881. A long building was the first school house on NW10-17-12 west of the Principal Meridian in what is now the Municipality of WestLake-Gladstone. It was replaced with a frame building in 1894. A third wooden frame school was built in 1922.
In 1926, the old school built in 1894 was moved two miles east to NW12-17-12W to become East Tupper School. The structure at this site became known as West Tupper School. In February 1957, a fire destroyed the school. It was replaced with a wooden frame building which was ready for the fall term and served until consolidation in 1968. A monument was dedicated on 5 August 1995 to commemorate the students and teachers of West Tupper School.
Among the teachers of West Tupper School was Ruth Emisch (1958-1962).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Manitoba Heritage Council Commemorative Plaques and Manitoba Community Commemorative Plaques, Fiscal Year 1995-1996, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Culture, Heritage and Citizenship, page 36.
Over the Rainbow: Memories of a Country School Teacher by Ruth Emisch, 1993.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 17 July 2018
Back to top of page