Historic Sites of Manitoba: West Bay School No. 1223 (RM of Dauphin)
The West Bay School District was organized formally in February 1903 and a building was erected in the northeast quarter of 12-28-19 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Dauphin. The district was dissolved in 1965 and students from this area were bused to schools in Dauphin. The former school building still stood at the site until around 2011 when it was burned to the ground.
Among the teachers of West Bay School were John Hrushowy (1954-1956), Mrs. Edna Prokopowich (1956-1958), Mrs. Edna Proke (1958-1962), Tony Semchyshyn (1962-1964), Mr. A. Klassen (1964-1965), and Tony Semchyshen (1964-1965).
“Teaching staffs named for “A” and “B” groups,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 9 September 1954, page 1.
“Record-breaking enrollments expected here in collegiate, elementary schools,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 1 September 1955, page 1.
“All-time high enrollments expected for town schools,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 30 August 1956, page 1.
“Town schools open today, high enrollments expected,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 29 August 1957, page 1.
“Total of 110 teachers assigned to schools in Dauphin-Ochre area,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 4 September 1958, page 1.
“Teaching staffs assigned to rural, village schools,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 3 September 1959, page 1.
“Teaching staff for area schools increases to 132 for opening 1963-64 term,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 21 August 1963, page 1.
“All area schools open classes next Tuesday, 131 on teaching staffs,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 26 August 1964, page 1.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Randy Zihrul for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 11 January 2017