Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Pool Grain Elevator / Private Grain Elevator (Tyndall, RM of Brokenhead)
A 35,000-bushel wooden grain elevator in the village of Tyndall, on the CPR Lac du Bonnet Subdivision in the Rural Municipality of Brokenhead, was built in the 1940s for the Lake of the Woods Milling Company. It replaced an earlier elevator at the site, built in 1918 by the Harper Construction Company, that was disassembled. In November 1959, the elevator was sold to Manitoba Pool Elevators and, the following year, its operation was taken over by a farmer-led cooperative, the Tyndall Co-operative Elevator Association. That same year, a 30,000-bushel balloon annex was constructed on its west side, along with a residence for the elevator agent.
In 1971, the results of an analysis by Manitoba Pool showed that “the farmers concerned could be reasonably well served at neighboring points, so that the cost of the small unit could be eliminated without significantly increasing the cost to farmers or to neighboring elevators.” The elevator at Tyndall closed in July 1971 and was sold to the Tyndall Grain Corporation, a privately licensed grain dealer focussing on the independent hog producers of southeastern Manitoba. A dust collection system installed in the elevator by Manitoba Pool was removed prior to its sale.
The rail line was abandoned around 1990 but the elevator continued to operate as an inland storage facility, with grain transported by trucks. It closed around 2012 as the need for large, bulk storage declined.
Agents / Buyers
Photos & Maps
Annual Report 1960, Manitoba Pool Elevators, Manitoba Pool Fonds, S. J. McKee Archives, Brandon University.
“Tyndall, Man.,” Ogilvie Mills, MSS120, Box 145, File 10, University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections.
Obituary [Frank Downie], Winnipeg Free Press, 31 January 1969, page 33.
Grain Elevators in Canada for the Crop Year 1971-72, Canada Department of Agriculture, Ottawa, 1971. [Manitoba Legislative Library]
Manitoba Pool Fonds, S. J. McKee Archives, Brandon University.
We thank Bill Sutherland for providing additional information used here.
Page revised: 10 December 2018
Back to top of page