Historic Sites of Manitoba: Tiny Creek School No. 2344 (RM of Hanover)
The Tiny Creek School District was established in July 1952 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at SE23-5-6E in the Rural Municipality of Hanover. In 1968, the district was dissolved and its area became part of the Hanover School Division. The school building was moved to Sarto for use as a second classroom for the Willow Plain School. The former school site was sold for $30. After the Grunthal School was built, the former Tiny Creek School building was sold for $500. A commemorative sign was erected in 2005-2006 by the Bohdan “Bob” Osadchuk (1939-2006) and the District School Heritage Association.
Among the teachers who worked at Tiny Creek School were Bernice Graboski (1953-1954), Alfred Joseph Mezebroski (1954-1957), Helen Paley (1957-1959), Annie Isaac (1959-1960), Slawko “Jerry” Storaschuk [Storoschuk] (1960-1961), Arnold Ernest Reimer (1961-1962), Lorne Plett Kornelsen (1962-1963), Harold Alfred Krentz (1963-1964), Ronald John “Ron” Kornelsen (1964-1965), Anthony Kozachenko (1965-1966), and Martha Dyck (?-?).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Schools - Our Heritage: From 46 School Districts to Hanover Unitary School Division (1878-1968) by John K. Schellenberg, The Board of The Hanover School Division No. 15, May 1985, ISBN 0-919673-93-7.
Obituary [Bohdan “Bob” Osadchuk], Winnipeg Free Press, 26 January 2006.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Tiny Creeek School District No. 2344 - Daily Registers, GR2656, Archives of Manitoba.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 2 July 2018
Back to top of page