Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Jens Munk at Churchill
Field Trip:
Churchill
2020

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Tartakiw School No. 1779 (Municipality of Gilbert Plains)

The Tartakiw School District was established in March 1915 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at NW24-27-23W in the Municipality of Gilbert Plains. The school closed in 1966 and the district was dissolved the following year. Its area became part of the Brickburn Consolidated School District. The former school building was used for a time as a granary. It was demolished in 1998.

Among the teachers of Tartakiw School were Wasyl Zaporzan, Steven Ronald Scrupa (1958-1959), Ed Arndt (1959-1960), Olga Sych Monastyrski (1960-1961), Steve Deczycia (1961-1962), and Mary Blogowski (1962-1966).

Tartakiw School

Tartakiw School (no date) by H. L. Albright
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-3, page 34.

Tartakiw School

Tartakiw School teacherage (circa 1959)
Source: Ed Arndt

Tartakiw School

The former Tartakiw School building (circa 1979)
Source: Ed Arndt

Tartakiw School

The former Tartakiw School building (circa 1986)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 487.

Site Location (lat/long): N51.33202, W100.57976
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

Cummin’s Rural Directory Map for Manitoba published by the Cummins Map Company, 404 Chambers of Commerce, Winnipeg, 1923. [Copies held by Edward M. Ledohowski and Gordon Goldsborough]

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.

“Rural life appealed to Arndt family,” Brandon Sun, 14 April 1999, page 4.

Memory Lane: Memories of Gilbert Plains and District by Sharon Diane Pasaraba, 2006.

This page was prepared by Ed Arndt and Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 7 February 2015

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.