Manitoba Heritage Summit 2022

MHS Smarty Party: 20 October 2022

Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Swanford School No. 2268 (Municipality of Minitonas-Bowsman)

The Swanford School District was organized formally in February 1936. It operated a school building on three acres of land purchased from Ed Kublick, on the southwest quarter of 24-37-26 west of the Principal Meridian in what is now the Municipality of Minitonas-Bowsman. It closed in 1956, after which students in the area went to West Favelle School No. 1037, Floradale School No. 1173, Cropper Tops School No. 1186, or Craigsford School No. 1760. The former school building was renovated into a private residence but is now vacant and heavily encroached by trees. A nearby plaque erected in 1998 commemorates it.

The teachers who worked at Swanford School were Donald Florence Fulford (1936-1939), Ethel May Hinchcliffe (1939), James Ernest MacKay (1939-1940), Beatrice May Sims (1940-1941), Alice Helen Leggett (1941-1943), Betty Mary Girard (1943-1944, 1945-1946), Olga Anne Kolisnyk (1944-1945), Lydia Hart (1946-1947), Gladys Irene Jeffrey (1947-1948), Hilda Crocker (1948-1949), Vera Ruth LeDrew (1949-1950), Aura Fern Russell (1950-1953), Keith Walmsley (1953-1954), Ruby Winnifred Roe (1954-1955), and Eva Margaret Sims (1955-1956).

Swanford School

Swanford School (no date) by J. S. Peach
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-3, page 127.

Swanford School

Swanford School (April 1937)
Source: Bertha Hall

Former Swanford School building

Former Swanford School building (July 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Interior of the former Swanford School building

Interior of the former Swanford School building (July 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Interior of the former Swanford School building

Interior of the former Swanford School building (July 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Swanford School commemorative monument

Swanford School commemorative monument (July 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N52.19433, W101.06081
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Boots, Buggies & Buses: Swan Valley Schools in Quest of Education, Swan Valley School Division No. 35, circa 1998.

A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.

We thank Bertha Hall for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 3 February 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.