Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. Urbain School No. 903 (Municipality of Lorne)

The St. Urbain School District was established in February 1897 and, from 1897 to 1904, a one-room schoolhouse operated between sections 29 and 32 of 5-11W in what is now the Municipality of Lorne and between 1904 and 1959 in the southwest corner of SW4-6-11W . In 1959, the district was dissolved and its area became part of the Ste. Marie Consolidated School District and later the Mountain School Division.

St. Urbain School

St. Urbain School (no date) by G. H. Robertson
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 20.

Site Location (lat/long): N49.44375, W98.90767
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

Somerset West topographic map, 62G/7 West, Edition 1, Series A743 [UFS Reference Collection].

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 30 November 2018

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.