Historic Sites of Manitoba: Stratherne School No. 349 (Municipality of Oakland-Wawanesa)
The Stratherne School District was founded in November 1884 on the southwest quarter of 22-8-17W in what is now the Municipality of Oakland-Wawanesa. In 1890, the building was moved to SE28-8-17 where it served until 1950 when a new school was built here, at the southeast corner of SW27-8-17W. The district was dissolved in 1962 and its catchment area became part of the Wawanesa Consolidated School District No. 2393 and later the Souris Valley School Division. A monument was erected at the site in 1970.
Stratherne School (no date)
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 24.
Students and teacher at Stratherne School (no date)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough, 2016-0214
Stratherne School monument (August 2010)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Location (lat/long): N49.68004, W99.70034
denoted by symbol on the map above
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 26 November 2016
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.