The Stodgell School District was established formally in December 1882 and a school building operated on the southwest quarter of 10-15-2 west of the Principal Meridian in the Rural Municipality of Woodlands. The school closed in 1966. The former school building, dating from 1920, was renovated into a private residence.
Among the teachers of Stodgell School was P. Gardiner (1897).
The former Stodgell School building (circa 1990)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 1501.
The former Stodgell School building (August 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Location (lat/long): N50.26161, W97.66694
denoted by symbol on the map above
“The Indian famine fund,” Winnipeg Tribune, 4 March 1897, page 4.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 15 August 2015
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.