Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

Fall Field Trip 2019
MHS
Fall
Field Trip

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. Claude School No. 788 (St. Claude)

Link to:
Principals | Vice-Principals | Teachers | Photos & Coordinates | Sources

The St. Claude School District was established in December 1898 and a two-storey wood frame schoolhouse operated in the village of St. Claude. In 1960, it became St. Claude Consolidated School when it was consolidated with St. Benoit School No. 1315, Barron School No. 1930, and Louvain School No. 2083. The school building is no longer present at the site.

Principals

Period

Principal

1928-1929

Norman Oliver Finnigan (1908-1988)

1929-1931

Rita M. Lynch

1931-1935

?

1935-1940

Sister G. B. Cornille

1940-1942

Sister Marie Adelard

1942-1943

Marie Campeau

1943-1947

Sister Marie Adelard

1947-1951

Margaret Sewell “Sister Marie Dorothee” (1916-2014)

1951-1953

Sister Claire St. Laurent

1953-1957

Sister Marie Adelard

1957-1958

Sister Helene St. Joseph

1958-1959

Sister Noellie

1959-1960

Sister Joseph

1960-1962

Sister Marie-Elzear

1962-1967

Margaret Sewell “Sister Marie Dorothee” (1916-2014)

1967-1970

Rev. Camille Legare

1970-1971

L. Courcelles

1971-1973

L. Letourneau

Teachers

No information.

Photos & Maps

St. Claude School

St. Claude School (no date) by J. H. Plewes
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 126.

Site Location (lat/long): N49.65573, W98.34590
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.

St. Claude West topographic map, 62G/09 West, Edition 1, Series A743 [UFS Reference Collection].

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 1 December 2014

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.