The St. Alban’s Parish, in Oak Lake in the Rural Municipality of Sifton, was formed in February 1888 through the endeavours of Rev. Charles Quinney. The church was built on land donated by the North West Land Company. Its architect was James Andrew and the contractors were Shaw and McLean. It was opened by Bishop Machray, Dean Grisdale, and Rev. Quinney on 22 June 1890. The building became a municipally-designated historic site in 1999 and a plaque beside the church was erected in 2001. Renovations were carried out as part of the Manitoba Prairie Churches Project.
St. Alban’s Anglican Church (September 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Interior of St. Alban’s Anglican Church (November 2017)
Source: George Penner
Site Location (lat/long): N49.76813, W100.63181
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Municipally Designated Historic Sites
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Prairie Churches Project / Manitoba Prairie Icons Project
St. Alban's Anglican Church, 174 Assiniboine Street W., Oak Lake, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and George Penner.
Page revised: 11 November 2017
Back to top of page
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.