Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Young Historians 2019
Young
Historians
2019

Jens Munk at Churchill
Field Trip:
Churchill
2020

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: South Ridge Road School No. 730 (RM of Portage la Prairie)

Ridge Road School was established in 1893. The original one-room school house was situated in the southwest quarter of 9-11-6 west of the Principal Meridian in the Rural Municipality of Portage la Prairie. The school was the focal point of the community, providing a place for meetings, dances, church services, concerts, and picnics. Destroyed by fire in 1929, its replacement South Ridge Road School was built on this site SW3-11-6 in 1930 and continued to operate until January 1967, when it closed and was merged with Prairie Central Consolidated School No. 2456. The building was sold to a local farmer who moved it to his yard for use as a workshop. A monument at the former school site was erected on 29 June 1997 and dedicated to the students, teachers, trustees, and pioneers of the area.

The original Ridge Road School

The original Ridge Road School (no date) by A. B. Fallis
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 116.

South Ridge Road School

South Ridge Road School (no date) by A. B. Fallis
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 116.

South Ridge Road School commemorative monument

South Ridge Road School commemorative monument (September 2010)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N49.88707, W98.21493
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: North Ridge Road School No. 730 (RM of Portage la Prairie)

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Rural Schools of Portage la Prairie School Division #24 by Muriel Wright, 1996.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 20 April 2019

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.