Historic Sites of Manitoba: South Junction School No. 1615 (South Junction, RM of Piney)
The South Junction School District was established in March 1912 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at SW11-1-13E in the Rural Municipality of Piney. It was replaced two successive buildings, the first in 1929 and the second in 1952. By 1967, its district was dissolved as it became part of the Sprague Consolidated School District. The second building that served as South Junction School was later used as the South Junction Baptist Church (a cemetery associated with the church is nearby), while the third building was moved to Sprague where it was used as extra classroom space for Sprague School.
Among the teachers of South Junction School was R. A. Ollivier (1939-1940).
South Junction School (no date) by Clarence Moore
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-3, page 3.
The former South Junction School (circa 1986)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 1022.
The former South Junction School building, now used as a church (August 2013)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Location (lat/long): N49.02948, W95.75480
denoted by symbol on the map above
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
We thank Doris Hovorka of the Sprague and District Historical Museum for providing information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 9 August 2015
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.