Historic Sites of Manitoba: South Derby School No. 1390 (Municipality of Cartwright-Roblin)
The South Derby School District was established formally in June 1906. A school building was erected the next year on the northwest quarter of 27-2-14 west of the Principal Meridian in what is now the Municipality of Cartwright-Roblin. It closed in 1967 and its catchment area became part of the Cartwright School District No. 174. The school building is no longer on the site but a metal sign commemorates it.
South Derby School (no date) by W. J. Parr
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 109.
The former South Derby School (circa 1986)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 1110.
South Derby School monument (October 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Location (lat/long): N49.15768, W99.27963
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: North Derby School No. 508 (Municipality of Cartwright-Roblin)
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 5 September 2016
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.