Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Slawna School No. 1624 (RM of Hanover)

The Slawna School District was established in May 1912 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at NW13-5-6E in the Rural Municipality of Hanover. In 1968, the district was dissolved and its area became part of the Hanover School Division. The former school building was sold for $151, and the land and toilet were sold for $52. A commemorative sign was erected in 2005-2006 by the Bohdan “Bob” Osadchuk (1939-2006) and the District School Heritage Association.

Among the teachers who worked at Slawna School through the years were Mary Kauska (1915), John S. Leswick (1916), Peter S. Sankey (1917), Michal Block (1917), Fred Humeniuk (1918-1919), M. Saranchuk (1919-1920), Anna C. Charette (1920-1921, 1922), Fred C. Sanderson (1921), Stephen Nykyforuk (1922-1923, 1924-1926 and night school, 1946-1955), J. T. Dutchak (1923), Alexander “Alex” Brown (1926-1927), David Kidd (1927), Lydia E. O’Leary (1928), John Frank Boitson (1928-1933, 1938-1944), John Joseph Kalinsky (1933-1937), Olga Tomchuk (1937-1938), Emil Joseph Borsa (1944-1946), Lawrence Waldemar Wasy (1955-1957), Alexander McNeill (1957-1958), Henry Bergen (1958-1959), Sally Wyryha (1959-1960), Jacob J. Rempel (1960-1961), John Albert “Johnny” Barkman (1961-1962), Peter N. Mateychuk (1962-1963), Henry Bergen, L. Ulasy, Nick Eugene Kowaliuk (1964-1965), A. Meerkhan, and Jarvis Mateychuk.

Slawna School

Slawna School (no date) by A. A. Herriot
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-3, page 5.

Slawna School

Slawna School (no date)
Source: Schools - Our Heritage: From 46 School Districts to Hanover Unitary School Division (1878-1968) by John Schellenberg, page 205.

Slawna School commemorative sign

Slawna School commemorative sign (November 2012)
Source: Ernest Braun

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.39905, W96.66830
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Schools - Our Heritage: From 46 School Districts to Hanover Unitary School Division (1878-1968) by John K. Schellenberg, The Board of The Hanover School Division No. 15, May 1985, ISBN 0-919673-93-7.

School division half-yearly attendance reports (E 0757), Archives of Manitoba.

Manitoba School Records Collection, Slawna School District No. 1624 - Daily Registers, GR2656, Archives of Manitoba.

Obituary [John Frank Boitson], Winnipeg Free Press, 14 March 1968, page 33.

Obituary [Bohdan “Bob” Osadchuk], Winnipeg Free Press, 26 January 2006.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough, Ernest Braun, and Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 21 November 2020

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep
history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.