Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years


Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Prairie History No. 1

No. 1

Manitoba Photographers List

Free Press Manitoba 150
Free Press

MHS YouTube Channel

Manitoba Brick & Blocks
& Blocks

Endangered Top 10
Top 10

Jens Munk at Churchill
Field Trip:

War Memorials in Manitoba
in Manitoba

Fundraising Dinner 2020

This Old Elevator
This Old

Abandoned Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Silver Springs School No. 119 (Municipality of Louise)

The Silver Springs School District was established formally in 1882 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at NW22-3-10W in what is now the Municipality of Louise. The original school was replaced by a new structure in 1902. Low student enrollment caused the school to be closed between 1920 and 1928, then closed permanently in June 1949. The district was dissolved in 1962 and its area became part of the La Riviere Consolidated School District. A post office had opened in the area in 1879 and closed in 1898.

The teachers of Silver Springs School were A. J. Pauls (1883), Miss Mattie Wage (1884), Miss Patterson (1885), James C. Butchart (1886, 1900), Isabella Montieth (1887, mother of James L. Fargey), Archibald Purdon (1888), William Wallace (1891), Mary A. Fraser (1893), J. W. Edwards (1894), Miss Playfair (1896), Miss Stewart (1896), Miss Taylor (1897), Miss Palmer (1901), Miss Duncan (1901), Stephen Young (1901), Janie Armstrong (1903), Miss Owens (1903), Mina Affleck (1903), Miss Brian (1903), Miss McKinnon (1904), A. J. Manning (1905), R. H. McCartin (1905), Miss A. B. Dougal (1907), Miss Bisset (1908), Ada Bowler (1911), Laura Gemmill (1914), Miss A. E. Pollock (1915), Miss Smith (1917), Miss Coppinger (1918), Clarence Morrow (1918), Miss Campain (1919), Miss Nan Morrow (1920), Miss Faith Hill (1928), Miss Pateman (1930), Miss Sando (1931), Miss McKitrick (1932), Miss Mitchell (1933), Miss Hamilton (1938), Miss Schreimer (1938), Miss Hoggarth (1938), Lillian Beavis (1941), Mary Gard (1942), Wilma Finnen (1943), Ada M. Tait (1944), Mrs. V. P. Scales (1945), and Miss Margaret Potter (1947-1949).

Silver Springs School

Silver Springs School (no date) by W. J. Parr
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 39.

Silver Springs School and Post Office commemorative sign

Silver Springs School and Post Office commemorative sign (2010)
Source: Ed Grassick

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.23109, W98.74864
denoted by symbol on the map above


One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Turning Leaves: A History of La Riviere and District by La Riviere Historical Book Committee, c1979. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5649.L38 Tur]

This page was prepared by Ed Grassick and Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 21 December 2019

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.

Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.