Historic Sites of Manitoba: Reliance Grain Elevator / Manitoba Pool Grain Elevator / Cargill Grain Elevator (Sidney, Municipality of North Norfolk)
Originally, there were three grain elevators near the west end of Sidney in what is now the Municipality of North Norfolk, on the CPR Carberry Subdivision. The first elevator was built in 1895 by O’Riley with Dan Alton as grain buyer. It was destroyed by fire in 1897 was rebuilt. In the meantime, two other elevators were constructed, one by Northern Grain and managed by Charles Babb, and the another built by the Farmers Grain Company and managed by A. Y. Hood. The latter elevator was later owned by the Winnipeg Elevator Company.
The last grain elevator in Sidney was built by Reliance Grain in 1942. Having a capacity of 36,700 bushels, it was sold to Manitoba Pool in 1948. Traded to Cargill Grain in 1975, substantial renovations were made at that time. Closed in 1993, the building was demolished in 1999.
Agents / Buyers
Photos & Coordinates
Through Fields and Dreams, A History of the R.M. of North Norfolk and MacGregor, volume 2, by the History Book Committee of the North Norfolk-MacGregor Archives, 1998.
Manitoba Pool Fonds, S. J. McKee Archives, Brandon University.
We thank Sandra Rempel and George Penner for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 28 May 2022